Hydraulic Engineering: Water Tapping and How Does it Work?February 15, 2017
Water main pipes pack municipal district lines with hundreds of kilopascals of pressurized fluid. The strong flow enters multi-storey buildings and housing clusters with a punch, an almighty torrent that pours from shower heads and domestic taps. In hydraulic engineering parlance, this is a high-pressure water line, so how do we "tap" into this essential utility? The resource is there, in plain sight when the trench is finished, but we need water tapping procedures to access the fluid contents.
The Water Tapping Process: An Overview
In simple terms, this specialized piece of apparatus mechanically pierces the mains line without creating a leak. Remember, something like 800 kPa of mains-pressurized water is powering its way through the municipal line. That's an explosive force, at least in fluid terms, so the penetration tool must be capable of inducing the tap without exposing the large pipe's restrained contents. Basically, the hydraulic engineering field has access to a water tapping technology that operates when the water is still coursing inside the mains line, so there's no need to turn off the water supply and inconvenience entire city blocks.
A Practical Installation Approach
Utility lines are marked out in the standard manner, supplemented by municipal plans, and the mains pipe is exposed. A backhoe or similar digger gets to work on the project. Once partially revealed, the rest of the work is conducted manually, so as to preserve the fragile outlines of the pipes. Next, the tapping device clamps solidly to the pipe. It actually girdles the full circumference of the hollow tube, then a series of valves and cutting edges cuts (taps) a hole in the pressurized line. As the trenched pipe is still entirely under the control of the device, a corporation stopper (special stop valve) is installed. From this point on, it's easy to couple a standard service line to the newly fitted valve attachment.
In olden days, this was a hit and miss procedure, a case where the trench could, and did, fill up with a small lake of water while a gushing fountain dominated the street. Today, all of that has changed. Water tapping devices provide a safe and reliable means of piercing borough utility lines without bringing about a potential flood. The tool is easy to master, certain to contain great fluid forces, and remarkably adaptable, thanks mostly to the valves and controls that stopper the water during the installation of a permanent valving unit.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Underground Boring and Trenching: Why Hire Metro Pits?
- Different Types of Water Distribution Systems, Common Problems and Solutions
- Trenching and Loading Tips for Excavator Operators
- Essential Features of a Traffic Management Plan
- Everything You Need to Know About Directional Drilling
- Understanding Some Basic Information about Pit and Pipe Installation Services
- Underground Electrical Transmission Cables for Electricity Connections
- What are the Different Types of Earthing Systems Used in Electrical Installation?
- Understanding Underground Asset Location: Why is this Done?
- The Importance of Soil and Backfilling for Underground Cables
- What is the Main Purpose of Electrical Earthing or Grounding?
- An Overview about Underground Cabling and Wiring Systems
- Non-Destructive Trenching Services and Civil Works for Melbourne Projects
- Excavation Work: Managing and Reducing Risks
- Installation of Electrical Conduits for the Electrical Supply Industry
- How to Manage Electrical Risks during an Underground Cable Installation?
- How Engineers and Construction Managers Benefit from Directional Boring
- Why Do You Need an Earthing System in an Electrical Network?
- Top Excavation Safety Hazards to Keep in Mind
- Avoid Excavation Mishaps: Hire Only VEDN Accredited Contractors
- The Importance of Having an Underground Asset Location Checklist Prior to an Excavation Project
- The Importance of Design Integrity for Substation Transformer Foundation
- Pipeline Construction Process After Council Permits are Granted
- View all articles…
- Hot Water Tapping and Backflow Prevention Services in Melbourne
- Electrical Grid Connection Services in Melbourne: What does this Job Entail?
- View all articles…
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Surveyor in Construction
- Benefits of Underground Electricity Connections versus Overhead Powerline Connections
- View all articles…