Water Tappings: What is it all about?May 16, 2017
It seems like a fundamental, even simplistic question, right? What are water tappings? Curiously enough, there's more to this work than meets the eye, but that's often the case. Anyway, water tappings are defined as utility connections that don't interrupt an existing service. Try and picture that, if you can, the plumbing of an additional water connection, one that doesn't force the main line to shut down.
Demystifying Water Tapping Methods
The laws of physics and fluid dynamics say you can't just make an opening in a water vessel without suffering the consequences. The transported fluid will just use that hole to escape its containment medium. Worse yet, if the water is under pressure, it'll escape through that opening at some velocity. Water tapping technology sidesteps this issue by using a special tapping sleeve to create a permanent branch connection.
What Exactly is a Tapping Sleeve?
Depending on where you live, the name of this process can change. It's called "hot tapping" in some countries, for obvious reasons. Other nations have labelled the deep trench skill "wet tapping," but regardless of the engineering terms and colloquialisms, the same job is being described. That job requires a tapping sleeve, a special housing that covers and seals the proposed branch point. After that sleeve has been installed correctly, the water mains is almost ready to be "tapped." Incidentally, a tapped pipe is a pipe that has a threaded hole. As a verb, the tapping process cuts that hole into the pipe while the sleeve seal is maintained by a bleed valve and a packing gland.
Mains water pressure is extremely high, which is as it should be because the water has to jet down kilometres of pipe. Otherwise, it wouldn't reach your home, or if it did, there would only be a tiny trickle dribbling out of the faucet. Somewhere around 500kPa of near explosive pressure is held in that line, so a controlled tapping procedure must be carried out properly. The correct application of the saddle, valve and sleeve should, therefore, be tested before any other work is conducted. In order to accomplish this test, a hydrostatic pump is connected to the water tapping valve as a pressure tester.
The water continues pumping into homes and office, plant rooms and utility centres while the live branch is made by the tapping sleeve. Installed properly, the saddle engages against the pipe, the valve creates its seal, and the entire assembly is hydrostatically assessed with a special pump. Finally, the trench uncovered mains water pipe requires reinforced cutting gear, so always source tapping sleeves and tapping machines that are built to work at the operational pressure carried in the mains pipe.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Underground Boring and Trenching: Why Hire Metro Pits?
- Different Types of Water Distribution Systems, Common Problems and Solutions
- Trenching and Loading Tips for Excavator Operators
- Essential Features of a Traffic Management Plan
- Everything You Need to Know About Directional Drilling
- Understanding Some Basic Information about Pit and Pipe Installation Services
- Underground Electrical Transmission Cables for Electricity Connections
- What are the Different Types of Earthing Systems Used in Electrical Installation?
- Understanding Underground Asset Location: Why is this Done?
- The Importance of Soil and Backfilling for Underground Cables
- What is the Main Purpose of Electrical Earthing or Grounding?
- An Overview about Underground Cabling and Wiring Systems
- Non-Destructive Trenching Services and Civil Works for Melbourne Projects
- Excavation Work: Managing and Reducing Risks
- Installation of Electrical Conduits for the Electrical Supply Industry
- How to Manage Electrical Risks during an Underground Cable Installation?
- How Engineers and Construction Managers Benefit from Directional Boring
- Why Do You Need an Earthing System in an Electrical Network?
- Top Excavation Safety Hazards to Keep in Mind
- Avoid Excavation Mishaps: Hire Only VEDN Accredited Contractors
- The Importance of Having an Underground Asset Location Checklist Prior to an Excavation Project
- The Importance of Design Integrity for Substation Transformer Foundation
- Pipeline Construction Process After Council Permits are Granted
- View all articles…
- Hot Water Tapping and Backflow Prevention Services in Melbourne
- Electrical Grid Connection Services in Melbourne: What does this Job Entail?
- View all articles…
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Surveyor in Construction
- Benefits of Underground Electricity Connections versus Overhead Powerline Connections
- View all articles…